ADHM 2009

Welcome     Login | Signup   ADHM Community | Runners Wall | Members| Tag | Discussions | Support a cause
7:30 am start for Half Marathon, too late?
| More

Tanvir Kazmi
06 October 2009, 15:12:29

I have been running the Delhi Half marathon since it started in 2005, and every year I have the same complaint. The 7:30 am start is too late for a half-marathon. By the time most runners finish, it is well past 9:30, rather 10:00 am, and even in late October or early November, that is quite hot. Once you are on to the India Gate / Rajpath stretch, the heat starts getting to you. Would request organizers to think about this for the future events.

Even the Mumbai marathon has similar issues, they start around 7:40 am, though from last year, they have started an early start too at 6:30 am, which is a great initiative. I hope that the organizers can follow suite for Delhi as well.

What do you guys think, is 7:30 am okay, or maybe 6:30 am would be too early for folks coming from a bit far off places like Gurgaon, Faridabad, Ghaziabad and Noida?

-Tanvir (delhirunners.com)

Re: 7:30 am start for Half Marathon, too late?
| More

Rajesh
06 October 2009, 15:34:58

Tanvir, if it is for delhiites only than 6 :30am is ok.. People come from different parts of country, we have to takethat also in consideration..

It is not about Gurgaon, Faridabad, Ghaziabad and Noida people participate from all acrossthe world..

| More

Tanvir Kazmi
06 October 2009, 20:42:54

Wow Rajesh, I hope the international runners do not fly into India on the morning of the run. Otherwise they would be too tired to run at all :) Same is the case for outstation runners too, they have to collect their running numbers etc in Delhi before the run day, so all of them are there in Delhi or around and can reach the venue in time, I do not see any issues with that. And how does that work for Mumbai marathon, an event much larger in scale compared to Delhi?

Actually, the only issue I see is from the people who may consider a 6:30 am start too early to lose some of their early morning sleep :) I have started my long runs at 4:00 am in the morning, no big deal.

| More

Rajesh
07 October 2009, 12:18:52
Tanvir ,it is easy for Delhi guys .. person who is new to delhi , who just came here for run .. Needs xtra time .. hope you understand (location , travelling , conveyance , traffic) .. Please dont personally .. just think of other guys ..
| More

Sapna
07 October 2009, 13:15:45

Rajesh@ If urmaking ur point keeping in mind half marathon and not 6 km great Delhi run....then I would like to add.........

who is just here for run will reach much before Delhi guys becoz he is in DELHI ONLY FOR RUN......book a radio taxi night before & all sorted....and traffic at wee hours is much more lighter then day time (at some streaches there is no traffic around 5.00AM)

P.S.Try running sometime for 10 km not even half marathon when sun is up and u know the difference....

| More

Tanvir Kazmi
08 October 2009, 13:01:32

Let me say just this - most half marathon runners will prefer the headache (if any) of reaching early to the venue than burning their soles (souls) running at the late hours.

| More

Vishwas
09 October 2009, 12:51:34

I can talk for myself. I'll be coming from Ahmedabad and sure, I'll be there on the 29th or so. So sure, I'll have acclimatized in the 2-3 days that I get before the ADHM. But then, in this discussion we're forgetting one point. I may or may not be comfortable. I hear it has begun to cool down in Delhi, while we continue to sweat like stuck pigs in Ahmedabad.

So I have a choice, either I come there a week to acclimatize AND GET COMFORTABLE with the weather, or start at 7:30 and hope it doesn't get too hot. I prefer the latter. I cannot possibly start with more clothes and strip as we go along. So that's my two cents worth.

| More

Harsh
15 October 2009, 13:14:48

hi Tanvir/Rajesh/all,

is there a possibility of the runners coming together and requesting an earlier start?

rgds,

Harsh

| More

Amit yadav
20 October 2009, 17:41:55

Dear Runner,

you may be right considering the kind of heat we face in last few miles of runs,

but then scheduling early would make people like me to start more early,

like for 7.30 a.m run,i have to wake up at 3.30 a.m and after that leave for Delhi at 4.30 a.m so that by the 6.30 a.m maximum i reach at shuttle bus stops for further journey at start point,i mean in any case i wish to reach at running place by 7.00 a.m.

so,think of me if run has to start at 6.30 a.m,it would mean .me waking at 2.30 a.m (almost middle of night),and how can we expect to perform well half slept.

Though ur intention are worthpraising,i think status quo need to be maintained.

I Would come all the way from Rewari,90 kms from Delhi,(you may laugh,but i will be coming the same day,i would not like staying night before run in Delhi,as most of the time eating outside food upsets my stomach.

See you there,to cheer you and lots of other people.

Regards,

amit

| More

Tanvir Kazmi
24 October 2009, 16:16:22

Lets do this next year for sure. Try to get connected with the event as volunteers in different capacities, identify key people who work in technical and organizational capacities, and set on an online petition for getting the time earlier. We have a plan, but unfortunately for next year since it is probably too late for this year.

-Tanvir